LIONS TALES: SEPTEMBER 14, 2020
Confused about which Wednesdays students are in school? Download the newly updated Elementary School Calendar for 2020/2021, which includes independent learning Wednesdays.
Need help with Home Access or Dismissal Manager? Check out the district FAQs HERE.
HAPPENING AT LLS…
ROOM PARENTS NEEDED!
Thank you to everyone that volunteered through the survey last week! We are so appreciative of you raising your hand especially in this unique year. We still have many openings for Room Parents and if you haven’t already volunteered, please consider doing so. In order to help things keep moving along smoothly this year, we need one Room Parent per afternoon & morning session for each class. If you would like to be a Room Parent for your child’s class, please email our Room Parent Coordinators, Tally Jacobs, Sonja Tracey, or Nicola Lott. Thank you so much in advance!
ORCHESTRA AND BAND PROGRAM:
Participants must register on Google Form ASAP
Westport Public Schools' award-winning, 80-tradition of instrumental music IS happening!! The orchestra program (violin, viola, cello, and double bass) is available for all 4th and 5th graders. The band program (bell set, practice pad, and snare drum) is available for 5th graders.
Please click on the links below for more information and to register your child for this amazing opportunity!
4th Grade Orchestra:
5th Grade Orchestra and Band:
SCHOOL PICTURE DAY: Thursday September 17
In-person students will have their photos taken at LLS during school hours in a socially distant set up outside. Unlike in prior years, photographers or volunteers will not approach students for any reasons, such as to fix uneven hair or clothing. There will not be a group shot taken of the class this year.
Distance learners who would like portraits can come to the main entrance and will be directed to the photo session location at the following times:
- Distance learners with last names starting with A-M at 4:30pm
- Distance learners with last names starting with N-Z at 4:50pm
There are two easy ways to order your photos:
- Online: For a paper free option, go to www.coffeepond.com and click on the big red button that reads "Order School Portraits." Select Westport and Long Lots in the two drop down menus. Enter your student's information and then choose a portrait package. You may then select "order for another child" or enter your payment information. There is NO need to bring in the printout of your online order.
- Paper form: Please fill out the form that should have come home in your child's take home folder. It can be sent in with your payment in an envelope on or before picture day.
If it happens to rain on September 17th, photos will be moved inside for all students.
SPECIAL EDUCATION NEWS
This year SpEd Sip N Chats will happen over Zoom. Please join us for this great opportunity to connect with other SpEd parents! Given the hybrid learning model, we will offer 3 Sip N Chat times this month to make them convenient for everyone’s schedule:
- Wednesday, Sept 23rd at 9:30 am
- Thursday, Sept 24th at 1:30 pm
- Thursday, Sept 24th at 7 pm
Do you have a GREEN thumb? We would love to get a Gardening Committee up and running at LLS to help beautify the grounds and need your help! Faculty and their students plan to take advantage of the great outdoors this year so it’s an excellent time to make improvements to our school grounds. If interested in lending a hand, please email Nicole Sine.
3 EASY WAYS TO SUPPORT LLS PTA!
Why support the LLS PTA? Every dollar that we raise goes right back into our school’s community – from supporting our teachers, providing author visits and cultural arts performances to our students, and enhancing our physical space with a new shade arbor coming soon!
Here are 3 easy ways to help raise money for the LLS PTA this fall:
1. Long Lots Logowear is now available to order at ASF and Nice Threads!
- Shop the ASF website for sweatshirts, t-shirts, hats, leggings, shorts & more! Order online and pick-up at the ASF store at 1560 Post Road in Westport
- Shop the Nice Threads website for masks and water bottles. Order online and pick-up at the Nice Threads store at 17 Kings Hwy N. in Westport
2. Keep Track of that AWESOME LOGOWEAR with Mabel’s Labels: Visit campaigns.mabelslabels.com to shop for all your labeling needs! Mabel's labels come in a variety of styles that you can use to tag your child’s clothing, water bottle, etc. Perfect for back-to-school!
3. Sign up for Amazon Smile: The same shopping experience (and prices) as Amazon, but on the smile.amazon.com website you help LLS PTA! Simply select Long Lots School PTA as your designated charity, and the PTA will receive a percentage of your purchases. Once you have selected LLS PTA as your charity on the website, you will need to search for “Amazon Smile” to activate it in the app. Make sure to always use smile.amazon.com to make your purchases count!
NEXT BOARD OF EDUCATION MEETING: Monday 9/21 at 7:30pm
TO VIEW THE MEETING: Live streaming and archived HERE/ Optimum Government Access Channel 78 / Frontier Channel 6021
As always, your attention and feedback is important and we strongly encourage you to stay engaged, watch the meeting and address any comments, concerns, or suggestions to the Administration and Board of Education. Please send your emails to:
- BOE members at BOE@westportps.org
- Tom Scarice, Superintendent at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Anthony Buono, Assistant Superintendent for Teaching & Learning and Co Chair of WPS Reopening Committee at email@example.com
CURRENT REOPENING PLAN
The district has developed a detailed plan for the 2020-21 school year and details regarding this can be found on the WPS 2020-2021 Reopening Our Schools Site and in the Westport Public Schools Reopening document. We encourage all families to review this document for specific information about the 2020-2021 school year. More information about the reopening process can be found on the newly published FAQ as well and additional FAQ questions can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
IN THE COMMUNITY...
WESTPORT SCHOOLS CALENDAR
The 2020-2021 Westport Schools Calendar, featuring student artwork, is available to ORDER online via PayPal at tinyurl.com/WSCalendar-Art. Delivery by mail ($23) or pick-up ($20). In-person purchasing opportunities will likely be Limited...ORDER your copy today! Also available for sale at ASF.
The 13-month full-color calendar (portable 8-1/2” x 11” size) covers a full school year. Each month features a wonderful work of art by a Westport Public School student and includes key district event dates, with room for your own notes, on high quality paper.
Proceeds benefit Westport Public Art Collections, which supports the display, conservation, and educational uses of original works of fine art in every school and municipal building across town.
Be sure to order your copy today!
ROARRRRRING ACCOLADES THIS WEEK GO TO...
...all of our wonderful Long Lots teachers, administrators, custodial team, and school staff for their tremendous efforts in reopening our school last week! You all are superheroes!
...all Long Lots families and students for rocking the first week! It's inspiring to see how our community has risen to the occasion. Go LLS!!
Thank you for always reaching out to us with your concerns, fundraising ideas, and suggestions on how to strengthen and enhance our school community. If you have any questions or if you need anything at all, please always feel free to reach out to us at email@example.com.
Have a great week!
Maria & Elsa
LLS PTA Co-Presidents