LIONS TALES: FEBRUARY 21, 2021
We hope you had a safe and restful February break!
- The LLS Choir sang Stand By Me with the other Westport Elementary School Choirs-you can check it out HERE! This musical gift was funded by all 5 elementary school’s PTAs. See if you can spot some of our LLS Lions!
- Tune into the BOE meeting on Tuesday (2/23) of this week
- RULER Webinar Tuesday (2/23) at 12pm or 7pm (Zoom registration links below)
- Buy a YEARBOOK to remember this crazy and unique year!
HAPPENING AT LLS…
SUPERINTENDENT’S REMINDER ABOUT TRAVEL ADVISORY
Students and staff returning from travel to anywhere other than New Jersey, New York or Rhode Island, where they have stayed longer than 24 hours, are required by law to follow this executive order. Please see the link below for specific information including a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page. (For your convenience the FAQ’s are also included in this email.)
We want to remind families to continue reporting positive COVID-19 cases of students using our reporting voicemail or email regardless of whether the students are in remote or hybrid models of instruction. Please follow this link for more information on reporting.
As noted last week, the travel guidance is important information as the winter break draws to a close, but it remains critical for families and staff to remember that smaller social gatherings with family and friends have an equal, if not greater potential, for transmission of COVID-19 if mask wearing and other critical mitigation measures aren’t followed.
LET’S MEET....OUR INCREDIBLE KINDERGARTEN TEAM!
This week we are getting to know our Long Lots Kindergarten teachers! Click HERE to meet Ms. Giannino, Ms. Sanzo, Mrs. Teskey and Mrs. Valencia! YAY for Kindergarten!!
All families are invited to attend an upcoming RULER webinar from the Yale Center for Emotional Intelligence: Strategies for Helping Children Make and Maintain Relationships During a Pandemic.
Webinar Description: Living through the COVID-19 pandemic has changed how we connect with others in the classroom, on the playground, and in afterschool activities. Please join us for this important conversation on February 23 at 12pm ET/9am PT or 7pm ET/4pm PT. This interactive webinar will explore how RULER skills and strategies can help our children maintain existing relationships and create new ones. All RULER families, leaders, and educators are welcome to attend.
Yearbook Sales are open! Order now before prices increase by $10 per yearbook in April. To order, go to Coffeepond.com, click Order Yearbooks, and enter the appropriate case-sensitive password:
- HARDCOVER price is $38 — school password: LLS2021H
- SOFTCOVER price is $35 — school password: LLS2021S
We want to give every K-5 student an opportunity to own a yearbook. Please contact Mrs. Ambrosio or Mrs. Clarke if you are in need of financial assistance. All requests are confidential.
YEARBOOK SUBMISSION OPPORTUNITIES
- Calling all artists! We would love to feature artwork made by the students in the yearbook this year. The art should represent either a silver lining of the student's this year, art that reflects their school year experience, or art that represents how they felt over the school year. Please submit a high resolution photo of the art with the student's name, grade, and a caption or title to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 10th.
- Tell us (and show us) your silver lining from the 2020-2021 school year! Send us an email by March 10th to email@example.com with your student's silver lining from this year (please keep it to one sentence), with a photo of the student that goes along with it. Please include the student's name and grade. Sibling or friend photos are welcome as long as everyone in the photo is a LLS student.
5th GRADE PARENTS: PHOTOS THROUGH THE YEARS NEEDED
The end of the year and the end of our 5th graders' time at Long Lots is quickly approaching and we are creating the slideshow for the 5th Grade Moving Up Ceremony. The slideshow is treasured by all of our graduating classes as they get the opportunity to look back at their time at Long Lots since Kindergarten. That gets us to the next part...WE NEED YOUR HELP!
This is not possible without YOU!!! The slideshow includes all 5th graders in all of their years at Long Lots, so we need photos from you! Please help us by sending all the photos you can find - class parties, field trips, recess, etc. Please email with the GRADE of the photos or videos taken in the subject line to: SlideshowLLS@yahoo.com. Photos should be of groups (two or more kids) and taken at Long Lots School or on an official school field trip. Feel free to send as many as possible! All photo submissions must be in by May 15th. Questions? Please reach out to Kristine Nielsen and Anne Marie Hammers at SlideshowLLS@yahoo.com.
WEDNESDAY TREATS FOR OUR TEACHERS!
Thank you to all who have contributed to this effort so far! There still are opportunities to participate: click HERE to sign up for a date, or if you would rather make a monetary donation to this effort use this PayPal link HERE.
Here are some pictures of the staff treats provided by Jenna Lask, Melissa Post, Allison Olefson, Elena Ridloff, Ella Li, Alexandra Metz, Pam Greenblatt, Jane Khorosh, Sarah Hanna, Isabel Marques-Carpi, and Kristy Theisinger on February 10th!
DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION (DE&I)
We continue the celebration of Black History Month by sharing these award winning selections, Black History in Two Minutes, Hair Love (Oscar winning short film) and a curated list for diverse books.
Any questions or thoughts, please reach out! Your LLS DE&I reps - Ingi Soliman and Sarah Manning - can be reached at LongLotsDEI@gmail.com.
ARE YOU NEW TO LLS?
Are you new to Long Lots Elementary? Perhaps you are a Kindergarten parent with questions? Just moved to Westport and have questions about where to go and what to do? Welcome! We are here for you! Please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, we would love to hear from you!
KINDERGARTEN REGISTRATION FOR 2021-2022 IS NOW OPEN!
Click HERE to register your child for kindergarten!
LLS PTA BYLAWS
We have updated our PTA bylaws and will be voting on them at the next General PTA meeting which will happen in the next month. Please take a moment to review them and let us know if you have any questions. They can be found HERE.
IT’s 2021! GOOD REASON AS ANY TO JOIN THE PTA!
Why should you join the PTA? Because the PTA enriches the educational experience of every child and teacher at LLS with programs like our Cultural Arts programs, programing for our new LLS families, much needed support for our amazing teachers and staff and much, much more! Note: By joining the PTA and paying your dues ($30), you are not committing to volunteering. Don't forget-when you join the PTA you get instant access to our parent and student directory - MobileArq!
Questions? Contact email@example.com
CLICK HERE to join! (Registration code is: westport)
*We want to make sure that every family has the opportunity to join the PTA. Please contact Megan Clarke if you are in need of financial assistance. All requests are confidential.
FUNDRAISING for LLS!
- Make all those Amazon purchases count! The same shopping experience (and prices) as Amazon but on the smile.amazon.com website you help LLS PTA! Simply select Long Lots School PTA as your designated charity for the PTA to receive a portion of your purchases. Once you have selected LLS PTA as your charity on the website, you will need to search for “Amazon Smile” to activate it in the app. Make sure to always use smile.amazon.com to make your purchases count!
- Stop & Shop Rewards Program! LLS is now participating in the Stop & Shop A+ School Rewards Program! This is an easy way to help our school earn CASH each time you shop at any Stop & Shop location and use your card. Simply visit https://stopandshop.com/ and sign into your account. Once signed in, go to "My Account", then "Rewards & Programs" and choose A+ School Rewards. You can search for LLS by town and state, or enter our school ID number, which is 41240. If you don't have an account, you can create one online. Please tell all your friends and family to sign up as well! If you have any questions, please contact Vicky Powers.
- Label everything with Mabel’s Labels!
Visit campaigns.mabelslabels.com to shop for all your labeling needs! Mabel's labels come in a variety of styles that you can use to tag your child’s clothing, water bottle, etc. Perfect for back-to-school!
BOARD OF EDUCATION MEETING: FEBRUARY 23, 2021 at 7pm
TO VIEW MEETING: live streaming HERE/ Optimum Government Access Channel 78 / Frontier Channel 6021
Full Agenda: HERE
As always, your attention and feedback is important and we strongly encourage you to stay engaged, watch the meeting and address any comments, concerns, or suggestions to the Administration and Board of Education. Please send your emails to:
- BOE members at BOE@westportps.org
- Tom Scarice, Superintendent at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Anthony Buono, Assistant Superintendent for Teaching & Learning and Co Chair of WPS Reopening Committee at email@example.com
We would like to reintroduce you to Westport Together, a partnership with the Westport PTA, Westport Public Schools and Town of Westport, which is here for you! Westport Together is a renewed commitment to strengthening the social emotional health and overall well-being of our youth.
Westport Together (formerly Positive Youth Development) works with an alliance of local youth-oriented organizations, to provide valuable up-to-date information, activities, resources, events and programs, while uniting our community by nurturing positive youth development.
The very successful “How To Raise An Adult” event held at the Westport Library last spring was produced in conjunction with the Westport PTA Health & Wellness Committee. Westport Together continues to provide programming and events that you want, although packaged differently during this challenging time. Please see below for some upcoming events.
Supporting the social emotional health and well-being of our youth is more important than ever during this unprecedented and uncertain time, and Westport Together offers an abundance of resources for you.
- Don’t miss an event, program or any new social emotional health information!
Join the Westport Together mailing list at westporttogether.org/contact-us & follow on Instagram and Facebook! Visit Westporttogether.org for a “one-stop-shop” of local youth, family-friendly & all ages events, presentations, resources and information!
- The Westport Prevention Coalition needs parents like you! Under the Westport Together umbrella, the Westport Prevention Coalition utilizes the Strategic Prevention Framework (SPF), a comprehensive process for addressing substance misuse and related behavioral health problems, to increase awareness of the possible harm from alcohol, tobacco and other drugs (ATOD) among residents and providing prevention programming throughout the year. Learn more at westporttogether.org/prevention-coalition or fill out form at tinyURL.com/westportcoalition to join the efforts!
WESTPORT TOGETHER: UPCOMING EVENT
Westport Together sponsors various events and programs for K-12 youth and their parents. Please be sure to sign up for the Westport Together mailing list in order not to not miss out!
- Do you know how to talk to your kids about alcohol? The Westport Prevention Coalition will be offering MADD Power of Parents program this month on February 26th at 11am via Zoom (flyer). MADD’s Power of Parents program empowers parents of middle and high school students to have ongoing, intentional conversations about the dangers and consequences of underage drinking. As a parent, you have power to equip your child to make smarter, safer choices and to help prevent tragedies. Register by contacting Margaret Watt at firstname.lastname@example.org
DISTRICT COVID DASHBOARD AND HOTLINE
Please stay up to date with the WPS COVID-19 Dashboard (HERE). The District also recently set up a COVID-19 Positive Student Case Report Hotline. Find more information about that HERE.
IMPORTANT: If you are awaiting test results, please make sure your child quarantines and stays home from school until you have received a NEGATIVE test result.
DISTANCE LEARNING TECH HELPDESK
The Westport Public Schools is proud to partner with Custom Computers to provide a Distance Learning Tech Helpdesk. The goal is to provide real-time support for families during any distance learning or at-home hybrid learning days with live support Monday-Friday from 7am-8pm. A "Distance Learning Tech Help" button has been placed on the bottom left-hand side of the front page of each school's website for easy access to important details about the program.
IN THE COMMUNITY...
STAPLES PLAYERS RADIO THEATRE PRESENTS, LITTLE WOMEN
Gather the whole family and enjoy Louisa May Alcott's enduring and endearing best-seller FREE via livestream at www.wwptfm.org on Sunday, February 28, at 6 pm.
WESTPORT CONTINUING EDUCATION ONLINE PROGRAMS
Registration is now open for online programs for adults, teens and kids! View the schedule on the Westport Continuing Education website here. The winter/spring 2021 brochure is online here. Westport Continuing Education (WCE), a division of Westport Public Schools, provides high quality educational and enrichment programs for adults, teens, and kids. Options for K-5 programs in-person will be announced in January.
Please make sure that you are on our email list to get the most recent information. You can join the Westport Continuing Education mailing list here.
As always, we want to make sure that LLS PTA reflects every parent, student and staff member in our community, so please always feel free to reach out to us with any questions, concerns, or ideas. We welcome it all.
Have a great week!
Maria & Elsa
LLS PTA Co-Presidents